Wondering about your buying power?
Just how much house can you really afford? Before you even begin drooling over the real estate listings or taking a stroll through open houses this weekend, make sure that you have taken the time understand your buying power. Determining your buying power will make the real estate process much more efficient from the beginning, so you will buy the best house you can, without wasting time looking at houses you can’t afford.
How to calculate your buying power
1. Start with your gross monthly income. This should include your wages; any income that you receive from investments or dividends; any alimony that you receive; and any other regular additional income. Add these amounts together.
2. Next, determine monthly payments. If you do not have a specific house in mind, calculate this data based on the neighborhoods that you are interested in. Start with the down payment that you are planning to make. This can be 0 if you have not put away money for a real estate transaction. Then consider the length of time for your mortgage. You will also need to estimate what the interest rate will be along with house-specific expenses like homeowner’s insurance and the area’s real estate taxes.
3. Finally, evaluate your monthly expenses. Monthly expenses should include any recurring expenses that you have such as car payments, child care, tuition payments, alimony payments, credit card payments, and any other outstanding debts or regular activities. If the home that you are looking at has an HOA, make sure that this fee is included.
Once you have completed this financial exercise you should have a strong figure regarding how much buying power you actually have when it comes to how much house you can afford.
How to improve your buying power
Lenders are going to look at all of these aspects of your finances as well as calculate some ratios. They are going to look closely at your debt-to-income ratio, which is how much of your monthly income goes toward paying off debts. One way to increase your buying power is to look closely at lowering the amount of debt that you carry by paying down credit cards, car loans or other outstanding loans.
Your credit history is also going to be a significant factor in how much banks will lend you to purchase a home. Take the time to learn your credit rating and look at the methods to increase your score at least a year before you decide to make a purchase. You can also look closely at your lifestyle to determine if there are areas that you can reduce expenses (the type of car that you drive, vacation destinations, and so on) to free up more income to be used toward a real estate purchase.
For more tips on determining your buying power and how to improve it, do not hesitate to give me call today. I have great trusted LOCAL lender partners that I can refer you to as w
Search for New Homes for Sale in Portland, Oregon
Input IDX listings here
Moving to Portland, Oregon?
Make your move feel easy & stress free by partnering with Portland local market experts like us.
All Buyers Agent Portland clients receive a complimentary relocation package!
Fill out the form below to learn more.
Not quite ready to make the move to Portland?
Click here to Be added to our newsletter to stay up to date for when you are ready!
Planning to buy a home in the Portland Metro area?
Planning to buy? Set up your FREE One-Hour no obligation real estate consultation today!
Click Here to Leave More Details About Your Dream Home
Having an agent that focuses on fiduciary vs functionary representation is a game changer in buying real estate. ~ Anne Stewart
Helping home Buyers in the following counties: Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, Yamhill and Marion
Powered by Stewart Real Estate Group at eXp Realty LLC
Buyer Focused — Buyer Results
Anne Stewart-Principal Broker, operates an elite team of real estate professionals designed to focus on Buyer Representation
Resulting in superior customer care and exemplary client services.
Moving to Portland and need to get acclimated? Want to see a home that checks all the boxes? Our level of Buyer Agency and Buyer Representation is what you need in a real estate professional! We help you navigate the home buying process step-by-step with care, attention to detail and professionalism that is not easily found in the real estate industry.
The Stewart Real Estate Group at eXp Realty LLC are a team of experts in buyer representation. And that’s what you want!
We are here to represent your best interests in the purchase of real estate. Relocation, Residential, new construction, Land/Lots, condos/townhomes, Move up/Move down,
Since 2001, our team has over six decades of combined experience. Have a real estate agent whose real estate practice has PROVEN RESULTS!
- Expert negotiators
- Experienced real estate professionals
- Designing unique approaches to represent you in buying property EVERY STEP OF THE WAY!